What Is Acne or Pimples?
Pimples and acne are an inflammatory skin problem resulting from clogged pores caused by overproduction of oil from the sebaceous glands. These glands, which are connected to your skin pores through hair follicles, release an oily substance called sebum that lubricates your skin and hair.
When too much oil is produced, it clumps together with the dead skin cells to block your hair follicles. This results in the growth of skin bacteria, which cause acne – pimples, blackheads, whiteheads or cysts – on your skin.
Different studies suggest different causes of acne. Some experts believe that increased levels of the hormone androgen trigger the excessive oil production that blocks skin pores and causes acne. Some studies suggest that susceptibility to problem skin can be genetic. Pore-clogging cosmetics are also thought to contribute to pimples and acne.
Naturopathic, Chinese Medicine and Homeopathic doctors maintain that any skin condition is evidence of imbalance in the gut. So to treat acne or pimples, you need to normalize digestion and establish a beneficial gut flora (lots of good bacteria and no yeast overgrowth).
Acne and spots most often affects the face, chest, shoulders, back, neck and upper arms. Acne occurs mostly during puberty; and becomes less common as people reach age 30. Although it’s not a health threat, acne spots can be painful and embarrassing, and may leave behind permanent acne scars.
Natural Remedy For Acne or Pimples
Whenever someone has a skin problem – acne, pimples, eczema, psoriasis, unexplained rash, etc – the first place we look is to the gut ecology. This is because the lining of the gastrointestinal tract is made from the same type of cells as the skin.
The second reason we look to the gut is that the skin is one of the organs of detoxification. And if your body is detoxing through your skin and causing bad acne, it’s yet another sign that something’s wrong with your gut, and possibly your liver. So, home remedies for acne and pimples require a three-pronged approach:
1) For mild acne, you can use a therapeutic probiotic to balance your gut flora as a home remedy for acne. To get plenty of good bacteria in your gut, take one Natren Healthy Trinity capsule every day for one week, and then increase the dose to two capsules per day until your skin problem resolves. After that, the maintenance dose is one capsule per day. Don’t substiture another brand, or you won’t get the same results.
If you’re suffering from severe acne, I recommend you first use wild oregano oil to wipe out the pathogens in your gut, and then repopulate with good bacteria, as described in Jini’s Wild Oregano Oil Protocol which is available in both my Listen to Your Gut and Natural Treatments for Gut Infection eBooks. This protocol eliminates infectious microorganisms, increases healthy bacterial flora and maintains a favorable gut environment.
2) The next step to get rid of acne pimples is to detox your body to maintain a healthy gut terrain. Stop consuming processed and packaged foods, preservatives, artificial flavours, hydrogenated oils, etc. I also recommend you limit your sugar intake, as it’s the food choice of yeast and fungi. Eat fresh organic vegetables, organic butter, eggs, meat etc. If you’re suffering from severe problem skin, liver support herbs like milk thistle or burdock root (in liquid tincture or capsule form) are recommended to cleanse your body of toxins and restore liver functioning. Using a product like MetaCleanse ongoing is like having a broom sweep out your gut once or twice a day, so this also really helps with detox and will greatly improve your bowel movements! The manufacturer of Metaclease has stopped producing it so, in its place, you can use 1 tbsp. sprouted flax and chia powder along with 1/2 tsp. bentonite clay. NOTE: You cannot use these remedies if you are on an exclusively elemental diet – only if you are combining Absorb Plus with regular foods.
3) The last step in my home remedies for acne and pimples is to address the infection topically by rubbing wild oregano onto the acne spots approximately three to five times per day. If you find that the oregano oil “burns” too much, you can mix it with olive oil in a 6:1 ratio to dilute it.
Or you can use potassium iodide (SSKI) as an alternative to this mixture. Some people’s skin likes the oregano oil and other people’s likes the potassium iodide; which is more drying. As Jonathan V. Wright MD writes:
“When our children were teenagers, they always knew where to find the SSKI bottle. Whenever one of them ‘popped a zit’, she or he would rub SSKI into it every hour or two. The offending ‘zit’ would be gone in 24-48 hours or less; an innumerable number of social events were rendered ‘zit-free’ by this approach.”
We have found the combination of both wild oregano oil AND potassium iodide works best: Apply wild oregano by dotting onto the infected spot (I just use my fingertip). Wait 5 – 10 minutes. Usually, the wild oregano will draw the infection to the surface, so very gently squeeze and wipe away pus with a clean tissue. If there is a lot of discharge, you may want to apply wild oregano oil a second time. When there is no more pus oozing out, apply a drop of potassium iodide (yes it will sting quite a lot!). If the potassium iodide (SSKI) is too strong for you, then use 6% food-grade hydrogen peroxide instead. REPEAT this whole process at least 3 times per day. If you really want to clear the infected pustules quickly, then follow the above procedure every 2 hours for the first day, then every 3 hours for the second day, then 3x/day thereafter.
NOTE: Be sure to sign up in the green box to get my Free eBook: What You Need To Know About Wild Oregano Oil.
Simultaneously, you must be taking probiotics as directed. You will likely not be able to permanently clear a skin infection while your gut is infected (or not healthy). And do not put anything else on the affected skin until healed (lotions, make-up, sunscreen, etc.).
Ongoing, do not put anything with chemicals or preservatives on your skin. Your skin is a highly absorptive organ and anything you put on your skin is quickly absorbed to your bloodstream. So if you wouldn’t eat it, don’t put it on your skin!
NATURAL ACNE TREATMENT SUMMARY
- Balance your gut flora with Natren Healthy Trinity capsules (for mild acne)
- Add Jini’s Wild Oregano Oil Protocol from my Natural Treatments for Gut Infection eBook (for more severe acne).
- Detox your body. Stop ingesting toxins (artificial flavours, packaged/processed foods, sugar, simple carbohydrates, etc.) and stop putting toxins on your skin.
- Eat fresh organic vegetables, eggs, meat, etc. with organic butter or cold-pressed oils.
- Speed up the healing process by applying wild oregano oil and potassium iodide (or 6% food-grade hydrogen peroxide) onto acne spots.
NOTE: If you have a teenager who is uncooperative, or the Natren Healthy Trinity are too expensive for you, then you will probably see good results from just taking 1 Healthy Trinity every 3 – 4 days and using the topical treatments. Some people prefer to start slowly with the probiotics anyway, as it will then minimize the die-off reaction (bad bugs and Candida dying off). In 3 months you will see the positive results (some sooner, but 3 months for sure).