What Is the Flu?
Influenza – more commonly known as “the flu” – is viral in origin. However, the exact same symptoms can be produced by bacterial infection too.
Flu symptoms may include:
- A 100 degree Fahrenheit (or higher) fever or feeling feverish (not everyone with the flu has a fever)
- A cough and/or sore throat
- A runny or stuffy nose
- Headaches and/or body aches
- Fatigue – where you cannot or do not want to get out of bed
Many people think they have the flu when they get a “vomiting bug”. But they actually have either a bacterial infection (perhaps food poisoning), or viral gastroenteritis – which is an infection caused by a variety of viruses that results in vomiting or diarrhea and they may also have a headache, fever, and abdominal cramps (stomachache). It is often called the “stomach flu,” although it is not caused by the influenza viruses.
If you have the flu (with no vomiting) read on. But if you are vomiting, then see the remedy for Gastroenteritis (vomiting bug).
Natural Remedy For the Flu
I have used wild oregano oil numerous times to prevent myself from contracting influenza as well as the extremely virulent vomiting bugs that sweep through our city at least twice per winter. When I had all three children under age nine, they were guaranteed to bring one of these viruses home from school.
Be sure and download my free eBook, What You Need To Know About Wild Oregano Oil by signing up below.
As I then would get vomited on repeatedly, by any or all of the children, and be up all night until the onslaught passes, it’s safe to say my exposure was pretty intense and my resistance was low. However, even though the other adults in my household have come down with the bugs, I have avoided every one by using an intensive wild oregano oil antiviral/antibacterial protocol – because I REALLY, really hate to vomit.
So, I’m going to share with you what I do, that has repeatedly worked so well for me. This protocol uses a commercial brand of wild oregano (like Joy of the Mountains or Oreganol – which is already diluted 3:1) NOT essential oil of oregano.
Use this protocol to prevent contracting the flu, or, to heal the flu very quickly if you’ve already got it.
Watch this video where my daughter Zara (aged 5) and I show you exactly how to take wild oregano oil so you don’t have to experience the burning sensation:
Jini’s 7-Day Antiviral Wild Oregano Oil Protocol
- Take 5 drops every hour for 24 hours – begin this at the first exposure to the virus or first symptom. If you are sleeping, don’t wake yourself up to take it, but let yourself sleep (which greatly assists your immune system). However, if you get up to go to the bathroom, etc. then take a double dose of 10 drops.
- Then take 10 drops every 3 hours, for 48 hours – again, if you are sleeping, don’t wake yourself up to take it, but let yourself sleep (which greatly assists your immune system). However, if you get up to go to the bathroom, etc. then take a dose of 10 drops.
- Then take 10 drops, 3x/day for the next 2 days – just take the dose during waking hours.
- Take 5 drops, 3x/day for the next 2 days – just take the dose during waking hours.
- Take high dose probiotics for the next 2 weeks to repopulate your gut with good bacteria. Remember that wild oregano oil is antibiotic, as well as antiviral, so after a heavy dosage like this, you MUST balance the bacterial flora in your GI tract by flooding it with good bacteria. If you’re taking the Natren probiotics that I recommend, this means you take 1 tsp of each powder, 3x/day OR 1 Healthy Trinity Capsule, 2x/day. Remember to use the powders if you are having more than 3 bowel movements per day – otherwise the transit time through your GI tract is too fast for the capsules to dissolve properly.
NOTE: Take on an empty stomach for maximum potency, then drink a full glass of water immediately after to dilute in the stomach. This protocol is only suitable for adults.
Or Use Olive Leaf Extract as a Flu Remedy
Wild oregano oil is also anti-inflammatory, so should be fine for most people. But, as with any substance, some people will not tolerate it. In that case, use olive leaf extract instead, follow the same guidelines above, but use 1 capsule of olive leaf for every 5 drops of wild oregano. So if you are directed to use 10 drops wild oregano, use 2 capsules of olive leaf instead.
Guidelines For Children
For my children, aged 5 – 12, I let their own immune systems handle the flu if possible, since I feel it is important for their immune system development. However, if we need to get them healthy fast – perhaps we are flying to Mexico in two days, or they have a big performance coming up – then I use the following flu treatment for my children:
- 5 drops of wild oregano, three times per day. If they have a cough or sore throat, they gargle the water/oregano mixture first and then swallow, and then do not drink any water for 10 minutes. If it is bedtime, they don’t drink any water after swallowing the gargle, so the wild oregano can really go to work on the infection in their throat, ensuring them a much better night’s sleep. See my video below for how to give wild oregano to kids.
- 30 drops of Astragalus and 30 drops of Medicinal Mushrooms in a shot glass of hot water, twice per day, preferably on an empty stomach.
- When antiviral treatment is over, they take daily Natren probiotics to keep a healthy gut flora.
Flu Prevention During Flu Season
During the winter months, my whole family takes these supplements to help our immune systems stay strong on a daily basis:
- Natren probiotics (kids can use the powder version, mixed in chocolate milk or yoghurt)
- Cod liver oil
- Vitamin D
- Bone Support
- Trace Minerals
- Gummi Bear Multi-Vitamins
We also eat organic food (higher vitamin and mineral levels) and do not have any WiFi or cellphones in our house. We unplug everything in the bedrooms before sleep. Sleep needs to be a time of restoration and repair, so you don’t want to have radiation or electricity interfering with your body’s own electromagnetic field.
Yes, it is possible to have 3 kids in school and no flu bugs all winter!
If you don’t live or sleep with someone who has the flu, but it’s going around your office (for example) and you want to protect yourself, then take 5 drops of wild oregano, 3 times per day.
How To Tell If You Are Dehydrated
Pinch some skin on the back of your hand for 2 seconds, then release. If the skin immediately returns to normal, you are not dehydrated. If the skin stays pinched or bunched, then you are severely dehydrated and you need to drink electrolytes (like Emergen-C).
Remember, this protocol should only be used if you are NOT vomiting, if you are vomiting, then see my treatment page for Vomiting Bugs.
Pregancy, Breastfeeding, Babies Guideline
I have not used wild oregano oil whilst pregnant. But I have used it while breastfeeding and I have used it on my children from 4 months of age topically, and 6 months of age orally. Obviously, I gave it to my kids in very minute doses (congruent with their body weight and diluted further with extra olive oil) and found it caused no harm when used in conjunction with and followed by probiotics. My friend would rub it onto the soles of her baby’s feet, rather than give it orally, since uptake through the soles of the feet into the bloodstream is very fast.
I also gave it in high doses to my breastfeeding cat when she became deathly ill after eating a dead bird, and she and her five kittens showed no ill effects. In fact, when we took the kittens to the pet store 3 weeks after dosage, the vet said he’d never seen an entire litter of kittens come in with no mouth or ear infections before!
Obviously, this is an area where you’ll have to make your own decision since there are no clinical studies on usage with pregnant or breastfeeding women, or with babies and toddlers. Herbal literature states that you should avoid giving wild oregano oil to children under age five and avoid use while pregnant.
My personal opinion when pregnant or breastfeeding is: Avoid it if possible since it is a very strong substance (especially in first trimester pregnancy when your liver is already stressed). But if the need arose, I would ask myself: When faced with antibiotics or a powerful, damaging drug as the alternative, do I feel wild oregano will do less harm than these potent drugs?
Be sure and download my free eBook, What You Need To Know About Wild Oregano Oil by signing up in the green box towards the top of this page.